Virtual SAN Free - questions on server

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

kevin79

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:44 pm

I love the idea of using Virtual SAN free and some of my remote sites that only have 2 servers and no shared storage. I have a couple questions though.

First off, does Virtual SAN free work with Hyper-v Server 2012 R2, not Server 2012 R2 with the Hyper-V role installed?

Second, at some of my sites I have HP Microservers with only 2 single port network cards. Will this work while allowing Hyper-V to function? They are smaller sites and the usage on the VM's is minimal and the sites have a maximum of 5 virtual machines.
tig_jeff

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:37 pm

As per the documentation for their software, found here (https://www.starwindsoftware.com/system-requirements), you should be able to run this on Hyper-V Server 2012 R2.
As far as having 2 NICs... I would not count on this... because, you will need to have one NIC for heart beat and one NIC for sync. This, along with Hyper-V running across them may be too much.

BUT...
If I were to set this up, I'd not run the NICs bonded on the Hyper-V installations.
I would run one NIC as your vSwitch and one as admin.
I would then take the admin NIC and set it up for use as Sync too and the vSwitch NIC as heart beat.

ALSO...
I have not been able to make this work yet.
I have submitted questions to the forum and a contact within Starwind, and I have no solution yet.
Hope this helps.
- Jeff Morlen

Follow me on Twitter (@tig_jeff)
Max (staff)
Staff

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:23 am

Hi guys,
So there is a trick in the Hyper-V (no-gui version) of Windows: you can use StarWind Management GUI, you just need to install the Management Console on your laptop (Windows Vista - Win10 supported) or deploy our web management interface (download here: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/customer-page)
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
tig_jeff

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:13 pm

Keep in mind that you will only be able to use the Management Console while you are within the trial period of the license.
After that trial period, you will no longer be able to use the GUI to manage your "free" installation.

If I am incorrect, please let me know ASAP and I will edit/delete this post.
Hope this helps.
- Jeff Morlen

Follow me on Twitter (@tig_jeff)
Vitaliy (Staff)
Staff

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Tig_jeff,

You are corect.