Hardware VSS Provider for version 6

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Yuriy (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:24 pm

jhamm@logos-data.com wrote:Looks like maybe the issue is I'm missing the register_app.vbs file?
Exactly!
You have copied files to wrong folder.
In "VSS" folder you should find "hw" subfolder. You should copy/replace files to "hw" folder. "hw" folder has a register_app.vbs and other needed DLLs.
If "hw" folder not exist than that means that you have not selected installing of Hardware VSS Provider.
Just keep in mind that Hardware VSS Provider can be installed only to Windows Server.
In your screenshot I see that you try to install SftwareProvider.dll. This screenshot is a screenshot of SoftwareProvider folder.
jhamm@logos-data.com

Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:20 pm

Just upgraded to Build 7354 on:

- Both of my Starwind Hosts
- Both of my Hyper-V hosts (StarWind Hardware VSS Provider)
- My VEEAM backup server (StarWind Hardware VSS Provider)

When I run "VSSADMIN List Providers", it correctly list the StarWind Hardware Provider in the list on all hosts,

But, when I go to run a backup, the backup does not "see" any of my Hyper-V CSV volumes as accessible from the StarWind Hardware VSS Provider, only the Microsoft Software Provider. (See attached screenshot)

My question is regarding my volumes created in v6 before the upgrade to v8. Does the StarWind Hardware VSS Provider only work with new LSFS devices, or should it also work with my older Image-based devices created in v6?

Thanks!
Jeff
Attachments
VSS Providers.PNG
VSS Providers.PNG (11.03 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
Yuriy (staff)
Staff

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:36 am

jhamm,
My question is regarding my volumes created in v6 before the upgrade to v8. Does the StarWind Hardware VSS Provider only work with new LSFS devices, or should it also work with my older Image-based devices created in v6?
Every VSS Provider can work only with storage devices that supports snapshots.
In StarWind v6 the only device that supports Snapshots is IBVolume (IBV) device. ImageFile and HA isn't snapshotable in StarWind v6, so they not supported by VSS system.
In StarWind v8 snapshotting supported by LSFS and HA based on LSFS. IBV has limited support in StarWind v8 - old devices still work, but you can't create a new one (we recommend manual migration from IBV to LSFS).
(HA based on ImageFile not supports snapshots because underlying ImageFile not supports snapshots)

--
Best regards,
Yuriy.
jhamm@logos-data.com

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Got it - thanks!

Jeff
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:07 pm

Always glad to help you!
Best regards,