How do you create clustered storage with advanced settings?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

robnicholson

Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:52 pm

I can quite happily create simple storage on the cluster but that puts the IMG file on the default location (E:\ in my lab). I want to do some testing using the SSD drive I've got in there which is the F: drive. When working none-clustered, you use "Add device (advanced)". I don't see anything similar for clustered devices.

Thanks, Rob.
robnicholson

Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:59 pm

I thought I'd sussed this by creating the devices and targets manually first on the two nodes and then tried to join them together using the "Replication Manager". Did something wrong as I ended up creating two new devices :-(

Will have a look on the website to see if there are any docs for v8 and this.

Cheers, Rob.
robnicholson

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Ah ha - got it - sort of! You use "Add device (advanced)" on both nodes to create the device as required but then asked to create a target, select "Unassigned". You then end up with two orphan devices. Right-click on one of them and run the replication manager. That got me further except I've now got this error:

"Synchronisation cannot be started because Nodes are not ready, try to synchronise Nodes manually. Failed: error occured whilst initial synchronisation process was running".

So I'll do that now.

Cheers, Rob.
robnicholson

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Yes, manual synchronisation got it started...
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:03 am

You can change the default storage pool path via Configuration -> Advanced Settings -> Storage Pool
robnicholson

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:46 am

Thanks useful to know, but the default is probably correct, i.e. it points to the main storage area. The secondary area is the SSD drive and I just wanted to use that for testing due to the faster initial sync.

Cheers, Rob.
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:12 pm

The idea of cluster is to simplify the future devices creation process.
So it uses the default storage pool path to save virtual disks there and default network settings (sync, heartbeat) which you specify when add server to the cluster.