volume lost in v8, no problem with v6

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

SynthosKralupy

Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Hello,

I have ESXi 5.5 server and I'm testing it with Starwind iSCSI free edition.I found bad behavior with version 8: created LUNs are continuously became disconnected and reconnected. I tried image disk, lsfs and RAMdisk, no difference - problem persist for any LUN type.

Then I uninstalled Starwind from computer, installed v6 free (on same computer - Windows server 2012 R2) and everything is running without problems. After any configuration change system works as expected.
I know, you wrote that v6 is going to out of support and v8 should be certified for ESXi 5.5, but... it seems too buggy for now and unusable. So, even if looks promissing, unfortunately doesn't works.

BTW, is anywhere available documentation for v8? I cannot found any...

Thank you.

Pavel.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Good news: that's your particular case, V8 does pass heavy load automatic tests in a labs and is more stable in general then V6.

Is there any chance you'd proceed with V8 and provide us with your config description and some StarWind logs so we could troubleshoot the case. Thanks!

VMware related setup docs are on the way. Please give us a week or two to fire them out.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

SynthosKralupy

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:45 am

Hello,

many thanks for fast response. I started new test today morning again with V8 and again I'm getting "Lost access to volume..." during storage migration. A few minutes is migration running smoothly, but approx. after 5 minutes has been stopped caused by error.

I'm going to send you logs by e-mail.
SynthosKralupy

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:09 am

Problem almost "solved": lost access to volumes are occurring only with thin provisioned disks with turned on deduplication or auto defragmentation. No problem with thick volumes nor thin with both options turned off.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:44 am

OK, which means dedupe enabled and auto defrag enabled turn response time into unacceptably slow. Can we still have logs and also can you list your storage performance metrics reported by vSphere?
SynthosKralupy wrote:Problem almost "solved": lost access to volumes are occurring only with thin provisioned disks with turned on deduplication or auto defragmentation. No problem with thick volumes nor thin with both options turned off.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:59 am

Please re-download StarWind v8 build and update your current one. The issue should be solved.
SynthosKralupy

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Excelent! After update to build #6838 it works much better! I turned on both options for thin disk and no problems yet.It is running perfectly.

Thanks.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks for the heads up!
We are really glad that it helped!

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any additional questions. It would be our pleasure to further assist you!
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com