starwind native installation

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

miry59

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:57 pm

hi,

I m very sorry, i'm french student, my english is very bad. but i'll try to explain you my problem.
first of all, i'm a newbie here. My IT professor give me a project last week: i have to built a ISCSI SAN with 2 WS 08 R2 with 3TB OF storage and make a cluster between the 2 nodes.
I download the starwind native hyper v to one of the server and with the iscsi initiator, i saw the target in the 2 nodes but i can't format it.
I think that i'm wrong with my installation... pleaseee can u help with the installation!! i have just 36hrs to finish that!

thank u for your help!
Aitor_Ibarra

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:13 am

After you've connected to the target in MS iSCSI Inititiator, you need to go to Server Manager > Storage > Disk Management, find the iSCSI volume, make it online, initialise it and then create your partition(s), You should only have to do this from one node.

Then you need to go to Failover Cluster Manager > Storage > Add a Disk so that the partitions you've created are available for the cluster to use.

If you are using Windows Server 2008 R2 then you have the GUI for all of this. If not, then you will need another computer in the same windows domain (ideally) to do this in the GUI, or lookup the command line docs for how to do this.

By the way, for Windows Failover Clustering, you will also need a domain controller. This could be running on the cluster nodes (unless they are the free Hyper-V Server which does not support the domain controller role) but it is better if it is another box.

Good luck!
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 am

Aitor, thank you, your assistance as always much appreciated.
miry59 wrote:I am very sorry, i'm french student, my english is very bad. but i'll try to explain you my problem.
first of all, i'm a newbie here. My IT professor give me a project last week: i have to built a ISCSI SAN with 2 WS 08 R2 with 3TB OF storage and make a cluster between the 2 nodes.
I download the starwind native hyper v to one of the server and with the iscsi initiator, i saw the target in the 2 nodes but i can't format it.
I think that i'm wrong with my installation... pleaseee can u help with the installation!! i have just 36hrs to finish that!

thank u for your help!
I am really sure that the documentation below will be very helpful for you:
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/using-s ... 008-server

I think you`ll pass the test :wink:
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
miry59

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 pm

thank uuu very much for our help! i 'm going to start!
Have a nice day!
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:09 pm

You are welcome?
May I wonder (just wondering) at what university are you studying?
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com