Enable/Disable write-back cache

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

danisoto

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:19 am

Hi,

Simple question: It's possible to instruct the running service to enable/disable the write-back cache?

My objective: I like to enable the write-back cache in a server with UPS, but in case of main power fails and running with batteries I like to guarantee the integrity of the data. My current UPS software can execute custom scripts when main power fails.

Ant idea about it? Perhaps using StarWindX?
Best regards!
@ziz (staff)

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi,
The only way to change cache setting (increase, decrease, enable, disable...) can be performed by recreating the target using the existing images.
danisoto wrote:Hi,

Simple question: It's possible to instruct the running service to enable/disable the write-back cache?

My objective: I like to enable the write-back cache in a server with UPS, but in case of main power fails and running with batteries I like to guarantee the integrity of the data. My current UPS software can execute custom scripts when main power fails.

Ant idea about it? Perhaps using StarWindX?
Best regards!
Aziz Keissi
Technical Engineer
StarWind Software
danisoto

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:59 am

@ziz (staff) wrote:Hi,
The only way to change cache setting (increase, decrease, enable, disable...) can be performed by recreating the target using the existing images.
Hi,

As I understood when only one node of the HA group is active, the StarWind SAN disables (temporally) the write-back cache. This is true? So why not expose this behaviour through the API of the StarwindX ?
@ziz (staff)

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:57 am

Yes, absolutely right, in case of failure of one of the HA nodes we empty the cache then disable it till the failed node comes back. It is executed by a internal service command that cannot be launched externally (in the current version). Actually the idea you suggested is quite interesting, we will work on it and add it in future releases.
Thank you!
danisoto wrote:
@ziz (staff) wrote:Hi,
Hi,

As I understood when only one node of the HA group is active, the StarWind SAN disables (temporally) the write-back cache. This is true? So why not expose this behaviour through the API of the StarwindX ?
Aziz Keissi
Technical Engineer
StarWind Software
danisoto

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:37 am

@ziz (staff) wrote:Actually the idea you suggested is quite interesting, we will work on it and add it in future releases.
Great!
When you will publish information about planed functionalities of the next (v6?) version?

Regards.
@ziz (staff)

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:05 am

Sorry, we do not publish such information (planed functionalities) in the forum.
danisoto wrote:
@ziz (staff) wrote:Actually the idea you suggested is quite interesting, we will work on it and add it in future releases.
Great!
When you will publish information about planed functionalities of the next (v6?) version?

Regards.
Aziz Keissi
Technical Engineer
StarWind Software
danisoto

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:46 pm

@ziz (staff) wrote:Sorry, we do not publish such information (planed functionalities) in the forum.
Ok, but we can assume that the next version 6 will include it?
Max (staff)
Staff

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:17 am

Let's say that it will be one of the new features included. :)
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
danisoto

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:11 am

Max (staff) wrote:Let's say that it will be one of the new features included.
I feel that the next version v6 will be a huge improvement in the HA scenario!

I'll be waiting impatiently to test it. 8)
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:55 am

I hope that you are 100% correct:)

As soon as we will get stable version it will should be avialable for beta-testing and you are definately welcomed to participate our beta-testing program.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com