HA heartbeat

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

gstephenson

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:36 pm

When I create a HA disk, the dropdown for Heartbeat just says 'none'. There are 4 IPs in the sync dropdown so why is heartbeat empty? It allows me to create the disk even without a heartbeat though.

Thanks.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:51 am

1) Do you happen to have any logs for StarWind captured during this drop down menu selection?

2) We'll disable no-heartbeat HA storage cluster creation in upcoming version as it does result so-called "brain split issue".
gstephenson wrote:When I create a HA disk, the dropdown for Heartbeat just says 'none'. There are 4 IPs in the sync dropdown so why is heartbeat empty? It allows me to create the disk even without a heartbeat though.

Thanks.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

@ziz (staff)

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 am

gstephenson wrote:When I create a HA disk, the dropdown for Heartbeat just says 'none'. There are 4 IPs in the sync dropdown so why is heartbeat empty? It allows me to create the disk even without a heartbeat though.

Thanks.
Just press refresh button (green one in the right side of "heartbeat interface") and available interfaces for heartbeat will appear.
Aziz Keissi
Technical Engineer
StarWind Software
gstephenson

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Ok, pressing the refresh button fixed it. I didn't realize there was a button there.

Thanks.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Sounds like our GUI engineer's issue who had did this in non-obvious way... We'll fix it fore sure!
gstephenson wrote:Ok, pressing the refresh button fixed it. I didn't realize there was a button there.

Thanks.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

jimbul

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:01 am

I did the same and didn't press refresh so assumed it had decided there were no suitable heartbeat interfaces and created the images anyway. Whoops.

This resulted in exactly that during testing when i crashed the server, a split-brain situation.

I deleted the targets and went through and recreated, this time selecting to refresh and picking the nics on the heartbeat vlan - i presume this method of adding the heartbeat after-the-event is supported?

Thanks,

Jim.
Constantin (staff)

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 am

Yes, it`s supported, but to avoid any possible data corruption I would suggest you to check the integrity of data on both images, or if data is not critical - just run full sync from one of the nodes.
clayton@mcc911.org

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:18 pm

so what happons if you creat a HA image and leave the heart beat drop down boxes blank? will it scan know interfaces to find the partner or will it use the partner address already provided in the HA set up?
if you (hypothetically =) created a HA image and just let the wizard leave the Heart Beat Box Blank,
What would happon?
Do i need to Remount the images with a heart beet address?
I would think you want the heat beat address to not be the same as the sync.
does , will the hear beat use the new mutipath stuff?

i normal alwasy set the heartbeat but this tiem i was in a hurry to test a few thing ang just clicked past it and them later i remembered , Hey i did not put any thing there and it let me leave it blank
is there a way to go back at set the heartbeat with out removing at recreating?
Last edited by clayton@mcc911.org on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Upcoming version of StarWind would not allow to configure HA w/o properly enabled H/B thing. So it's V5.6 legacy stuff entirely.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev