Non Active

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

n191975

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:03 pm

hello

I have a persistent problem with image files becoming Non Active. If I remove the Non Active image file & Add it again, it becomes active. Anyway to reslove this? Thanks
Robert (staff)

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 am

Could you provide some more details? What build of StarWind? What Initiator? Did you check the log files? What Oses on the Initiator and the Client?

Thanks.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
http://www.starwindsoftware.com
kiddx

Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:20 am

Im getting the same thing. I have starwind 4 with a few 1tb images running, we reboot the server to swap out the backup drives and esxi wont reconnect to it upon reboot. even a rescan doesnt show it. I get an error Reject: target 'monday' device imagefile0 is not active. the only way to make it work is delete it and re-add the image file. Soon as I do that esxi automatically reconnects it.

Any ideas?
Robert (staff)

Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Are there any Windows updates that make StarWind PC reboot? Also, is there 1 NIC interface only to the StarWind PC, or are there several ones (MPIO enabled)?

Thanks.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
doubledownn24

Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:56 pm

I am getting this same exact problem.

Windows 2008 R2 64Bit
Starwind 4.0 build 20090212

If I power the computer off, then back on, the images go to non-active and there is no way to get them to go active without deleting and re-adding.
Robert (staff)

Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Please try to update to the latest build of StarWind v4. Please contact us at starwindsoftware.com/support for additional information.

Thanks.
Robert
StarWind Software Inc.
Tolahouse

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:32 pm

I have seen this issue as well with Windows Server 2008 and Version 4 of Starwind. Removing and re-adding resolved the issue of missing ISCSI Luns. Could you please tell us more of what causes this apart from saying one should upgrade. Is it based on a time period say every three months or what?
Constantin (staff)

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Please send us logs using starwindsoftware.com/support form, with detailed information. Logs could be found in %Program Files%\StarWind Software\StarWind\logs.
jjavier69

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Has this issue been resolved? I experienced the same issue, and my workaround was more complex:
Everything was the same(everything working great,reboot Starwind device,...), up to the point where I had to re-scan the software HBA more than a couple of times per host - after deleting the LUN - in order for the LUN to be reconnected.
After it saw that the LUN had a pre-configured VMFS datastore, it asked if I wanted to keep the existing signature, which is what I want since I had registered VMs on it. When it tried to re-connect, a cryptic error showed up(sorry, didn't record it), and the only way to get it back without losing the VMs was to create a new signature for the LUN, connect the datastore and re-register the VMs.

What the Starwinds log showed was my LUN file, DDDisk1, failed to create at some point, but could not find where it resurrected itself afterwards. My device info below.

Any assistance is appreciated.
J Javier
*installed on VM running on ESXi 4.1*
AMD Opteron CPU (2vCPU), 4GB RAM
Windows Server 2003, 64-bit
Starwind iSCSI SAN, v5.8 build 20120124
Paravirtual SCSI disk, VMXNET3 NICs, local VMDK disks
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:59 am

Hello jjavier69,

Is this possible for you to recreate this issue and send us the StarWind logs after (you can find them in logs folder in StarWind installation folder)?

you can use support@starwindsoftware.com
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
hixont

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Robert (staff) wrote:Please try to update to the latest build of StarWind v4. Please contact us at starwindsoftware.com/support for additional information.

Thanks.
Really?!?! This is ridiculous. The fix is really to download a newer/secret revision of the same software? Every upgrade starting with 5.7 has gone badly and I am now no longer using HA due to the problems. I am darn near ready to dump Starwind entirely due to the unstable nature of your newest releases. My organization cannot tolerate production downtime which your software has caused with the last two release upgrades.

I am darned lucky that I did a test upgrade on non-production equipment before I installed the 5.8 version of the software. I didn't have this option previously.
Max (staff)
Staff

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 am

Actually you quoted a post back from 2009, which is not that relevant anymore :)
If you are evaluating the software you are privileged for free pre sale phone and email support.
That's why I highly recommend you to contact your account manager and ask for qualified pre-sale support.
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software