2003 Cluster both machines can't access quorum @ same time

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

isaac

Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:36 am

I am having some difficulties with this to say the least. Here is my current setup - 2x windows 2003 64bit Iscsi Initiator (MS Client) and 1x 2003 32 Bit Iscsi Target Machine (starwind)(connected via Gbps)- I have setup the machines according to the guide that is posted under press, but nothing seems to be working properly.
For Example - When I follow the instructions I can get the Cluster setup but when I go to access the Quorum drive, I get "Drive Unavailable" on one of the machines (the one that connects second). I can however shutdown the cluster and then both machines can access the information no the drives. Please let me know what other information I can provide. Thank you,
Val (staff)

Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:49 pm

isaac wrote:I am having some difficulties with this to say the least. Here is my current setup - 2x windows 2003 64bit Iscsi Initiator (MS Client) and 1x 2003 32 Bit Iscsi Target Machine (starwind)(connected via Gbps)- I have setup the machines according to the guide that is posted under press, but nothing seems to be working properly.
For Example - When I follow the instructions I can get the Cluster setup but when I go to access the Quorum drive, I get "Drive Unavailable" on one of the machines (the one that connects second). I can however shutdown the cluster and then both machines can access the information no the drives. Please let me know what other information I can provide. Thank you,
Hi,

please send me the StarWInd Service's log file (from /logs subdirectory of the STarWInd installation).

Are you sure the target allows multiple client connections (clustering)?
Best regards,
Valeriy
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:22 am

Hi.
Also please make sure that StarWind has not been registered with the free license because that license allows only one client connection per target.
Please either use trial installation or if your trial is expired, contact our support team and they will provide you with prolonged trial license.
isaac

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:46 pm

I have set up the connections for "cluster" and I have installed the trial version no the personal version - Also I have sent the logs to you via email, please let me know if you have not recieved them. Thank you, Isaac
Val (staff)

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:51 pm

Isaac, thank you for the log files. We are analyzing them and will let you know about the results ASAP.
Best regards,
Valeriy
isaac

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:17 pm

Thanks for the help. My boss is pushing me to get this up as soon as possible. Thanks again,
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:26 am

Hi.

The starwind_and_mscluster.pdf document describes active-passive cluster configuration. If the active node fails (shutdown for example) the other one becomes active and continue to work with the same functionality. Both of the nodes have one shred disk resource but only the active works with it. On the passive node the disk is marked as unavailable.
isaac

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:56 pm

So this is by design? So if I had a drive that was hooked up on the local bus, would it still be unavailable?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:25 pm

Active-Passive cluster was designed by MS to work in this way.

Yes.
isaac wrote:So this is by design? So if I had a drive that was hooked up on the local bus, would it still be unavailable?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Andy Black

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:09 am

Ok, I configured MS CLUSTER. I have an active node, that can write to shared disk (quorum), and a passive node(shared disk is unavailable).
When i move cluster group, it's works fine.
But when i shut off active cluster node, passive node cant connect to shared disk before i reboot iSCSI target.
iSCSI target - trial starwind on W2k8. Two node - W2k3 with MS iSCSI initiator 2,06. Shared disk is image file with clustering option.
Val (staff)

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:50 am

Andy Black wrote:Ok, I configured MS CLUSTER. I have an active node, that can write to shared disk (quorum), and a passive node(shared disk is unavailable).
When i move cluster group, it's works fine.
But when i shut off active cluster node, passive node cant connect to shared disk before i reboot iSCSI target.
iSCSI target - trial starwind on W2k8. Two node - W2k3 with MS iSCSI initiator 2,06. Shared disk is image file with clustering option.
Hi,

Try to change <iScsiPingPeriod value="0"/> to <iScsiPingPeriod value="5"/> and restart the service.
Best regards,
Valeriy