Looking for some peer support (5.6 performance problem)

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mkaishar

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:32 am

corsari wrote: Generally speaking, are the 10Gb NICs "auto-crossing"? As said above, I need to connect two servers directly, peer-to-peer with a 10Gb connection.
Yes
Aitor_Ibarra

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:13 pm

By the way, crossover cables are unnecessary even with 1GbE. You can use normal cables for NIC<->NIC, NIC<->switch and switch<->switch.

With 10GbE, your main choice will be conectors. With a peer-to-peer connection, obvioulsy you want both servers to have NICs with the same connector type - and you will find you have a choice of SFP+ (copper or optical via a tranceiver), RJ45 (good Cat6 or Cat7), and CX4 (coaxial). I beleive that SFP+ over copper or CX4 are lower power consumption and lower latency than RJ45, although RJ45 electronics for 10GbE may have improved since I last looked at this. I would say that probably SFP+ is the best route to go now, especially if you think you may need a switch in future, or need to increase the port count - there's a better choice of equipment and the connectors are smaller than CX4. However, cables for RJ45 are obviously much cheaper.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Aitor, thank you very much for your excellent clarification (pretty much as always). Hope it helped. As we're sliding away from StarWind to "network generals" I'm locking this thread. OP is welcomed to spawn another one if he has issues still. Thanks!

== thread closed ==
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software