Some feature requests

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

robnicholson

Tue May 10, 2011 4:41 pm

>Double-click on anything editable item should call editing dialog for this item. Don't Enter pressing only. It's so simple to implement, and it's so pleasantly to use.

Err, are you supposed to be able to edit things once you've created a target? For example, change the auto-snapshot time period from 30 minutes to (say) 60 minutes.

I can't find any edit dialogs...

Cheers, Rob.
Max (staff)
Staff

Tue May 10, 2011 5:47 pm

We're working on these implementations in the new GUI.
It's going to be more usable even without keyboard.
PS: I have already tried to use StarWind with a multi-touch screen - minimum 3 times faster than traditional input.
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software
Anton Chernomazov

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:20 am

I have another feature to request - scheduler. :)
Synchronization degrades performance. It's not critical to me to have new HA nodes synchronized right after creation. So I want HA nodes to synchronize at night. So I need scheduler 'cause i want to go home on time.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Actually there is no need in it now - you can simply change traffic priority from syncronization to client connections by right-clicking on the HA device in Devices tab and selecting Priority on synchronization.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
Anton Chernomazov

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 am

I know about synchronization traffic priority. But i want no performance degradation at all. Just a smallest.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:08 am

Well, actually switchin' your traffic priority from Synchronization to Client requests processing should do that.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
robnicholson

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:51 pm

Another wish - background shrink of thin provisioned disks. We sized our Exchange log drive at 2TB but the logs weren't getting deleted (problem with backup software) so they grew and grew and grew and nearly filled 1TB. They have been pruned down to a few hundred megabytes but the disk image is stuck at 1TB thus using up nearly 800GB of disk space on an expensive SAN.

Our only option (unless u tell me otherwise) is to create another image and copy the files across.

A background shrink of that disk run when activity is low would be (c) "wonderful".

Cheers, Rob.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:17 pm

We can parse NTFS content and deallocate blocks marked as "free" in a free space bitmap. But it's a very dangerous feature ;)
robnicholson wrote:Another wish - background shrink of thin provisioned disks. We sized our Exchange log drive at 2TB but the logs weren't getting deleted (problem with backup software) so they grew and grew and grew and nearly filled 1TB. They have been pruned down to a few hundred megabytes but the disk image is stuck at 1TB thus using up nearly 800GB of disk space on an expensive SAN.

Our only option (unless u tell me otherwise) is to create another image and copy the files across.

A background shrink of that disk run when activity is low would be (c) "wonderful".

Cheers, Rob.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

robnicholson

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:13 am

We can parse NTFS content and deallocate blocks marked as "free" in a free space bitmap. But it's a very dangerous feature
I promise to backup my data first ;-) Seriously, I wouldn't do it without a backup. Also, whilst "While live" would be really neat, and offline shrink would be fine as well. VMware workstation has been able to shrink VMDK files for years - a challenge :wink:

Cheers, Rob.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:11 pm

That's true. Except you need to be EMC or Microsoft to implement every feature and expand the product not only up bot also a sides :) But we'll do this particular one.
robnicholson wrote:
We can parse NTFS content and deallocate blocks marked as "free" in a free space bitmap. But it's a very dangerous feature
I promise to backup my data first ;-) Seriously, I wouldn't do it without a backup. Also, whilst "While live" would be really neat, and offline shrink would be fine as well. VMware workstation has been able to shrink VMDK files for years - a challenge :wink:

Cheers, Rob.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

megacc

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:14 am

My wishlist features

-Asynchronize mode for replication.
-ability to stop synchronization for ha devices in either node
-ability to add partner without taking ha device offline.
-additional nodes for backup and snapshots
-additional nodes as accelerators or a gateways
-terminate sessions
-web interface
-API or a script console for customization & development.
-tools for maintain, debugging and repairing img devices
- , tools for migrate/convert actual physical partitions[locally/remotely] into img devices
-virtual raid if possible
-permissions based on domain groups for each task performed within gui & web interface.
-more detailed documentations
-certified from microsoft & Vmware .

8)
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:07 am

My comments inside original text block.
megacc wrote:My wishlist features

[ Already under way. Not sure about V5.8 but either V5.9 or V6 will have +1 async replication node ]

[ Why do you need this? ]

[ Already part of V5.8 we should release soon ]

[ What to you mean here? Please clarify ]

[ Already under way. V6 probably ]

-terminate sessions

[ Why do you need this and how do you want this implemented? ]

-web interface

[ 50% of people love it and 50% of people hate it. As we cannot keep both we've decided to keep the one I like. So I don't know here... ]

[ This is already done. Version 5.8 will go out with COM object to control StarWind and set of PowerShell scripts to run ]

[ They are plain images. you can mount them with StarPort and edit with whatever you want. Anything I miss here? ]

- , tools for migrate/convert actual physical partitions[locally/remotely] into img devices

[ Please clarify. Is it simple tool to take RAW disk and take a IMG from it? ]

[ What's it? Something like RAID5/6 or RAID4 LeftHand does over server nodes or do you mean own built-in RAID for local volumes?
In other works whom do you like us to "clone" - LeftHand with their VSA or Veritas with their Logical Volume Manager? :) ]

-permissions based on domain groups for each task performed within gui & web interface.

[ Please clarify ]

[ What exactly you miss here? "Hate list" please! ]

[ We're already certified by Xen, Microsoft & VMware

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/certifications

]

8)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

megacc

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:07 am

anton (staff) wrote:My comments inside original text block.

[ Already under way. Not sure about V5.8 but either V5.9 or V6 will have +1 async replication node ]
\\good

\\To perform maintenance in a particular partition [rebuild , defrag, chkdsk ,,,]

[ Already part of V5.8 we should release soon ]
\\Im waiting

\\third or forth node for backup & snapshot for HA device, you don't need to store backup and snapshots in ha devices 's nodes as it will rise a risk losing your backup data in case total failure for either node .

[ Already under way. V6 probably ]
\\ It will be a big jump for starwind if there is separate tiering components responsible for caching

-terminate sessions

\\when performing maintenance(rebuild/resize/defrag...] for certain partition where the ha device's img file is resided and you need to maintain the performance of the ha device, you need first to shift the client to the other node by either :
-shutdown starwind service where the maintenance is performed, which is inconvenient
-if you have a permission to logon to the server(iscsi initiator client) then you can shift it to another node by using mpio tab
-if you haven't a permission then using terminate sessions feature will solve this problem .
then stop the replication between the ha devices until the maintenance is finished and resume the replication .

-web interface

[ 50% of people love it and 50% of people hate it. As we cannot keep both we've decided to keep the one I like. So I don't know here... ]
\\well , you can add it as optional component ;)

[ This is already done. Version 5.8 will go out with COM object to control StarWind and set of PowerShell scripts to run ]
\\Cool can’t wait any more :D

[ They are plain images. you can mount them with StarPort and edit with whatever you want. Anything I miss here? ]
\\ what I mean is for example , upgrade the img to support chap authentication , repair header , convert between ha and basic img and vise versa, compare two img files ,copying img file to external hdd in emergency conditions ,checking the integrity , and so on ,

\\ for a start yes identical copy of existing disk with same header size exported to either ha device or basic device .

[ What's it? Something like RAID5/6 or RAID4 LeftHand does over server nodes or do you mean own built-in RAID for local volumes?
In other works whom do you like us to "clone" - LeftHand with their VSA or Veritas with their Logical Volume Manager? :) ]
\\what I mean is storing the img file in multiple partitions[controllers] for redundancy and performance using a built-in starwind raid(1,4,5,6) architect - which is independent from the OS - to double the speed of read/write

[ Please clarify ]
\\for example, certain ha devices should only be maintained(start sync, remove nodes, acl editing for specific device,,) by specific domain group, other groups are denied.

\\you can’t find any any paper how starwind will react [disallow /allow clients] when nic is disconnected/reconnected or when starwind service restarted or when recreating ha devices, converting from ha to basic,best practice and recommendations for configuring hardware components like teaming raid levels strip size to guarantee best performance,…

]
\\fantastic, now it’s the time to certified some hardware components and configuration which is tested by your company ;)
8)
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:28 am

My current ones are after +++ mark.

P.S. We're making the thread more and more compilcated :))
megacc wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:My comments inside original text block.

[ ... ]

\\To perform maintenance in a particular partition [rebuild , defrag, chkdsk ,,,]

+++ OK, we'll add this to V5.8 I think.

[ ... ]

\\third or forth node for backup & snapshot for HA device, you don't need to store backup and snapshots in ha devices 's nodes as it will rise a risk losing your backup data in case total failure for either node .

+++ How much is this different from +1 node for replication? It seems to me it's the same feature, no?

[... ]

-terminate sessions

\\when performing maintenance(rebuild/resize/defrag...] for certain partition where the ha device's img file is resided and you need to maintain the performance of the ha device, you need first to shift the client to the other node by either :
-shutdown starwind service where the maintenance is performed, which is inconvenient
-if you have a permission to logon to the server(iscsi initiator client) then you can shift it to another node by using mpio tab
-if you haven't a permission then using terminate sessions feature will solve this problem .
then stop the replication between the ha devices until the maintenance is finished and resume the replication .

+++ We'll try to back-port this one from custom OEM build. Maybe even in V5.8 we'll release soon.

-web interface

\\well , you can add it as optional component ;)

+++ Well... It requires to have dedicated team doing Web GUI only. For now we'll release Web-based GUI as a prototype for our backup project. Then we'll *maybe* consider having Web GUI for StarWind itself.

[ ...]

\\ what I mean is for example , upgrade the img to support chap authentication , repair header , convert between ha and basic img and vise versa, compare two img files ,copying img file to external hdd in emergency conditions ,checking the integrity , and so on ,

+++ This one is a bit complicated as we'll merge all the image formats into one soon. Some sort of converter between old and new image formats OF COURSE would be represented (like we do have one for old and new style de-duplication).

\\ for a start yes identical copy of existing disk with same header size exported to either ha device or basic device .

+++ We'll add P2V migration (actually RAW disk as a source) to our StarWind V2V Converter (we'll rename it to StarWind Converter).

\\what I mean is storing the img file in multiple partitions[controllers] for redundancy and performance using a built-in starwind raid(1,4,5,6) architect - which is independent from the OS - to double the speed of read/write

+++ This one is HUGE. I'll try to describe what we're going to do and what we're NOT going to do as well.

1) Having RAID for redundancy is a bad idea. RAID is managed by OS or by RAID hardware so duplicating the same functionality is not a good idea. Also
we provide a concept where only boot disk should be protected as SAN space should be HA (duplicated or triplicated). There's no need to have RAID for redundancy if you have redundant SAN nodes.
Performance - YES (RAID0). Redundancy - NO (RAID1,5,6). At the same time our deduplication engine we'll push as a main container HAS ability to span over different volumes for performance.
And we'll release automatic tiering (placing more frequent used data on a faster disk, probably SSD) quite soon.

2) Having true network RAID is not a good idea. Building RAID5/6 over network has huge performance penalties. LHN sample network RAID does not scale very well for more then 3 nodes. And there's a reason why.
So we'll build many node storage clusters but with RAID1 over two or three nodes only. For single LUN I mean.

If you have different vision here please provide your feedback.

[ Please clarify ]
\\for example, certain ha devices should only be maintained(start sync, remove nodes, acl editing for specific device,,) by specific domain group, other groups are denied.

+++ We'll do ACL with some next update.

\\you can’t find any any paper how starwind will react [disallow /allow clients] when nic is disconnected/reconnected or when starwind service restarted or when recreating ha devices, converting from ha to basic,best practice and recommendations for configuring hardware components like teaming raid levels strip size to guarantee best performance,…

+++ We'll take care of this as well.

]
\\fantastic, now it’s the time to certified some hardware components and configuration which is tested by your company ;)
8)

+++ We'll provide cross-certification with hardware vendors. Already working on this.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

megacc

Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:26 pm

OK ,I'll try to make it short and targeted as possbile,

regarding the backup & snapshots , aynchronize mode replication, Virtual Raid:

*My vision for aynchronize mode was like this :

-replicating data without read/write locking mode and with compression mechanism to reduce network traffic with minimum read/write rate operations.

-doesn't include schedule time , multiple differentials/full copies

*for backup & snapshots:

-include schedule time ,time frame, multiple differentials/full copies
-backup policies (work on idle, stop on threshold, on event, retries, ..)
-check integrity .
-restoring policies (mark device as primary, restore changes only,..)

that's why at first I said backup & snapshots node , but if all these features listed (or will be considered in future releases) under asynchronize mode then there's no need for additional nodes ;)

* for virtual raid :

1- I agree with you, I was imagining it for people who have only a single node like we did for one year :) , actually you are not duplicating them instead you are introducing new features and options above the hardware/OS layer(redundancy for selective important devices within a single node instead of mirroring/spanning whole volumes using hardware/os layer) , you just need to customize it and tune it to work for your benefits with minimum hardware cost and maximum output(performance & reliability)

2-well from certain point of view yes I agree with you, on the other hand if look for example to (Cisco MDS 9000 SANTap) and other brands which support transparent instant replication and work as accelerators for every data pass for one node to other nodes making it at this level(Network level) may allow you to rethink and reconsider this option for future support(+3 nodes) by integrated some Starwind components at network level , I think this will remove the main bottleneck issue (one node is replicating to remaining nodes) .

By theway im big fan of SW & no.1 contender to oracle exadata and hp eva no trouble buddy :D