This document presents the basic information on installing and initial configuration of StarWind Virtual SAN. It is a comprehensive step-by-step guide, designed for users who are new to StarWind technologies.
A full set of up-to-date technical documentation can always be found here, or by pressing the Help button in the StarWind Management Console.
Downloading, Installing, and Registering the Software
1. Download the StarWind setup executable file from our website:
NOTE: The setup file is unified for x86 and x64 systems, as well as for all Virtual SAN deployment scenarios.
2. Launch the downloaded setup file on the server where you wish to install StarWind Virtual SAN or one of its components. The Setup wizard will appear:
Click Next to continue.
3. Read and accept the License Agreement.
4. Carefully read the information about new features and improvements. Red text indicates warnings for users who are updating existing software installation.
5. Click Browse to modify the installation path if necessary.
6. Specify one of the following installation types:
- Full installation (recommended)
Full installation includes both StarWind Service and the Management Console elements.
It allows users to manage storage resources on the machine where StarWind Virtual SAN is installed, as well as manage other StarWind Virtual SAN installations on the network.
- StarWind Virtual SAN Service
This installation type is designed for Core OS editions. StarWind Service is the core of the software. It enables the creation of iSCSI targets as well as sharing virtual and physical devices. The service can be managed using StarWind Management Console from any Windows computer on the network.
- StarWind Management Console
The Management Console is the Graphic User Interface (GUI) part of the software that controls and monitors all storage-related operations (e.g. allows users to create targets and devices on the available Virtual SAN servers). Once installed, StarWind Management Console is connected to the servers running StarWind Virtual SAN.
7. Specify the Start Menu folder.
8. Enable the checkbox if you want to create a desktop icon.
9. You will be prompted to request a time-limited fully functional evaluation key, or a FREE version key, or a fully commercial license key sent to you with the purchase of StarWind Virtual SAN. Select the appropriate option.
10. Select the hypervisor you are going to use primarily with StarWind Virtual SAN.
NOTE: For all non-virtualized Microsoft applications e.g. SQL or Exchange, as well as other hypervisors like Xen or VirtualBox, select the StarWind Virtual SAN for Hyper-V option.
11. Click Browse to locate the license file.
12. Review the licensing information.
13. Verify the installation settings. Click Back to make any changes.
14. Select the appropriate checkbox to launch the StarWind Management Console immediately after setup wizard is closed.
15. Repeat steps 2 to 14 on the second server where you wish to install StarWind Virtual SAN.
NOTE: To manage StarWind Virtual SAN installed on a Server Core OS edition, StarWind Management console has to be installed on a different computer running the GUIenabled Windows edition.