StarWind Virtual SAN® Providing HA storage repositories for XenServer Pool
This document is created for experienced XenServer and Windows system administrators and IT professionals who would like to add StarWind® virtual storage to their XenServer Pool and provides users with a step-by step instructions about configuring shared storage in a XenServer Pool Hyper-Converged or Compute and Storage separated environment; it contains detailed description of creating an HA devices and explains the way of setting up XenServer Pool and XenServer nodes. The document particularly focuses on the process of configuring an iSCSI initiator and connecting and mounting created datastores.
Traditionally XenServer Pool requires having some sort of shared storage to guarantee data safety, allow virtual machines migration, enable continuous application availability and eliminate any single point of failure within IT environment. XenServer users have to choose between two options when choosing the shared storage:
- Hyper-Converged solutions that allow sharing same hardware resources for the application (i.e. hypervisor, database) and shares storage, thus decreasing TCO and achieving outstanding performance results.
- Compute and Storage separated solutions that keep compute and storage layers separately from each other, thus making maintenance easier, increasing hardware usage efficiency and allow building the system accurately for solving the task.
This document assumes that you have at least 2 physical servers with XenServer and XenCenter installed. It also assumes that you have 2 physical servers (for Compute and Storage separated scenario) or 2 virtual machines (Hyper-Converged configuration) with StarWind® Virtual SAN installed and configured having 2 replicated and synchronized virtual storage devices.
The installation consists of the following steps:
Preparing StarWind Nodes
- Creating HA devices
Configuring XenServer Hosts
- Creating a Pool
- Configuring Network Settings
- Configuring iSCSI Initiator
- Applying Multipathing
- Adding Shared Storage...
- ...using automated script
Adding StarWind Virtual SAN® storage devices into XenServer Pool offers many additional features and benefits such as: storage devices into XenServer Pool offers many additional features and benefits such as:
- synchronous data replication;
- high availability;
- automatic failover;
- snapshots, cloning, migrating and a lot more;
StarWind Virtual SAN® is Officially Certified for Citrix XenServer 6.5; it has successfully passed a series of tests established by Citrix, so can be trusted to work effectively, combining the power of Citrix XenServer® virtualization and StarWind Virtual SAN® storage virtualization, and improving XenServer experience with storage high availability, reliability and protection.