StarWind VTL Appliance is a backup storage array designed to help organizations meeting regulatory requirements for data retention and archival without changes to their existing infrastructure. It delivers fast backups and restores and helps to protect the data from disasters or threats like ransomware by securely replicating and tiering data to public cloud.
- Presenting storage as tape grants seamless integration into existing tape-centric backup environments
- Meet Regulatory requirements easily knowing your backup data is secure and managed automatically
- Automatic offsite replication: tapes automatically tier and replicate to the cloud per user-set policies
- Shrink backup times and improve RPO using fast spinning disks combined with 10 GbE connectivity
- Get your RTO close to zero by being able to perform instant restores from virtual tapes
- Protect your data from ransomware and disasters by securing it on tape and keeping an offsite copy
- Save on space and resources replacing the entire physical tape infrastructure with just one appliance
- Save money on offsite tape storage and shipping by leveraging secure and scalable cloud storage
- Save time on implementation as the appliance needs little to no changes to the existing infrastructure
Department of Physics in the University of Oxford
decreased the price of storage expansion with StarWind
“We chose StarWind Mainly because of the cost compared to other vendors. Simplicity of setup was also
a major factor and I like the fact that you don’t need a vendor certified engineer to perform the installation”
John Harris, Windows System Administrator, Department of Physics, University of Oxford
StarWind VTL Appliance comes in 7 models to fulfill various capacity requirements. Models 600 and 1600 provide small 1U footprint backup storage in small deployments. The 2400 – 9600 Appliances range delivers up to 1 PB of effective capacity with the ability to expand it using cloud storage as a tier for cold data. VTL appliance also supports connecting physical tape drives and libraries through SAS/SCSI/FC in order to offload the virtual tape images to physical tapes if required.
|Usable Capacity, TB*||6||16||24||48||64||80||96|
|Usable Capacity, TB*||12||24||32||60||80||96||112|
|RAID||1||6 (default); 5, 10|
|Operating Protocols||VTL over iSCSI (Optional: SMB3, NFSv4.1, iSCSI)|
|Data Optimization||Deduplication (Post-processing), Compression|
|Public Cloud Connectivity||Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier|
|Physical Tape Connectivity||Optional: SAS/SCSI/FC Please check with your StarWind representative for available options.|
|Networking||2x 1 GbE + 2x 10 GbE|
|PSU||350W, Redundant||500W, Redundant||750W, Redundant|
|Form Factor||1U Rack||2U Rack|
*Before Deduplication and Compression. Average backup data optimization ratio may vary depending on data nature and deduplication/compression processes happening within the backup software.
Supported Backup Software: Veeam Backup and Replication v9.0 – v10; Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 – 2016; Veritas Backup Exec 2012 – 2016; Symantec NetBackup, HPE Data Protector, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager.
Management and Security: StarWind Web Management, PowerShell.