Quick Start Guide: Creating Stand-Alone Image File Device with StarWind Virtual SAN
This document provides detailed instructions on how to create minimal 2 node highly available shared storage configuration using StarWind Virtual SAN running on top of Windows Server 2012 R2. This guide is for experienced StarWind users and Windows system administrators and IT professionals who would like to configure StarWind Virtual SAN solution.
StarWind Virtual SAN® is a native Windows hypervisor-centric hardware-less VM storage solution. It creates a fully fault tolerant and high performing storage pool purpose built for the virtualization workloads by mirroring existing server’s storage and RAM between the participating storage cluster nodes. The mirrored storage resource is then connected to all cluster nodes treated just as local storage by both hypervisors and clustered applications. Fault tolerance is achieved by providing multipathed access to all storage nodes. StarWind Virtual SAN delivers supreme performance compared to any dedicated SAN solution since it runs locally on the hypervisor and all IO is processed by local RAM, SSD cache, and disks and never bottlenecked by storage fabric.
Creating Basic Image File
- Launch the StarWind Management Console
- Configure the storage pool.
- Select the StarWind server where you wish to create the device.
- Click the Add Device (advanced) button on the toolbar.
- Add Device Wizard will appear. Select Hard disk device and click Next.
- Select Virtual disk and click Next.
- Specify the virtual disk location and size and click Next button.
- Specify virtual disk options and click Next button.
- Define the caching policy and specify the cache size (in MB).
- Specify the destination directory for the L2 cache, if any.
- Specify target parameters.
- Click Create to add a new device and attach it to the target.
- Then click OK to close the wizard.
- Right-click on the device you just created and select Replication Manager.
- Replication Manager Window will appear. Click the Add Replica button.
- Select Synchronous two-way replication. Click Next to proceed.
- Specify the partner server IP Address or Host name.
- Choose Create new Partner Device and click Next.
- Select the synchronization and heartbeat channels for the HA device.
- Specify the interfaces for synchronization and Heartbeat.
- Click the Create Replica button. Then click Finish to close the wizard.