How VMware sees IT future. VMworld 2016. Day 1.
As you know, the main virtualization conference VMworld 2016 arranged by VMware is now being held in Las Vegas. On the first day of the conference several interesting announcements were made. For example, VMware Cloud Foundation, which soon will be available on the IBM platform and later with other vendors, as well, was presented. It allows to get a ready-made infrastructure at customer’s site with both necessary software and hardware components and ready, configured and integrated control and automation tools like NSX, Virtual SAN and vRealize:
VMware Cloud Foundation architecture expected to become available in Q3 2016 includes the following components:
- VMware vRealize Suite – IT-services delivery management tools in private and public clouds.
- VMware vSphere Integrated Containers – fast deployment tools for applications in isolated containers running in virtual machines.
- VMware Integrated OpenStack – integration solutions for OpenStack to build production cloud environment over VMware SDDC infrastructure.
- VMware Horizon – a single solution for the delivery of applications, desktops and configurations to the end users within the whole enterprise.
On-premise implementation of VMware Cloud Foundation is VxRack SDDC architecture. An entirely cloud-based version is the implementation of a public cloud based on IBM Softlayer services. It will be managed by VMware SDDC Manager console.
Also, VMware told about how they see the architecture of private and public clouds interaction called Cross-Cloud Architecture:
Cross-Cloud Services, which are under development at the moment (though technology preview is available) will enable operating any hybrid cloud infrastructure unifying both VMware vCloud Air and the clouds by other providers, like Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure etc. with VMware Cloud Foundation:
Here is how it looks in action in Cloud Services console:
By the way, VMware Enterprise Hybrid Cloud 4.0 platform for hybrid cloud infrastructure management has been upgraded to version 4.0 and is already available for use with full support of vRealize 7.0 product line:
By the way, what appears to be the most interesting are some figures and facts announced on the first day of VMworld 2016 conference:
- 23 000 of attendees this year
- 29M of workloads in physical and virtual machines in 2006 has turned into 130M in 2016, with 15% of them performed in the public clouds, and 12% in the private ones
- It is expected that 50% of all virtual machines will be allocated on the cloud by 2021, and by 2030 over 50% of all existing workloads will be migrated to public clouds of service providers
- Hosting services market in 2016 is 60 billion US dollars and shows 18% yearly growth
- Internet of things market is going to explode – within 5 years the number of devices will increase by 4.5 times!
- In 2019 more internet-connected devices will be operated by machines than by people
Vertical markets, which customize and will implement cloud technologies can be listed as follows in order of priority:
- Technology vendors
- Securities and investments
- Professional Services
Of course, a lot has been told about traditional IT services being doomed to death in the nearest future. So, the companies will have to either accept the new cloud reality and change the approach to IT infrastructure arrangement or die together with the traditional IT services.
On top of the announcements of the 1st day of VMworld 2016, here’s how cloud computing seeing by VMware can be summarized:
Latest posts by Alex Samoylenko (see all)
- How VMware sees IT future. VMworld 2016. Day 1. - September 1, 2016
- Instant Clone functionality in VMware Horizon 7 – how quickly and efficiently it works - July 22, 2016
- VMware Photon OS + Docker Volume Driver = containers architecture on vSphere virtualization platform - July 4, 2016
- How Transparent Page Sharing memory deduplication technology works in VMware vSphere 6.0 - May 30, 2016
- Virtual Volumes (VVols) backup – how it works and which solutions should be used - April 27, 2016