Tape Device stays offline

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

guideclothing

Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:42 am

I would really like to try the latest build - i have had this issue for over a year (see previous posts).

many thanks. Otherwise its an amazing product!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:56 pm

Apply for Beta program to get V8 Release Candidate.
guideclothing wrote:I would really like to try the latest build - i have had this issue for over a year (see previous posts).

many thanks. Otherwise its an amazing product!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

guideclothing

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Anton,

thanks - do you mean from this link?

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-v8-beta

this does not appear to be for tape redirector?

thanks

jack
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:58 pm

There's no Tape Redirector as a stand-alone product anymore. That's a Free version functionality now.
guideclothing wrote:Anton,

thanks - do you mean from this link?

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-v8-beta

this does not appear to be for tape redirector?

thanks

jack
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

guideclothing

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Anton,

sorry to ask what will likely be a stupid question - but this StarWindBeta.exe V8 file also includes the Tape Redirector functionality - but it will need to be a paid licensed going forward?

thanks

ajck
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:08 pm

No you don't need any paid versions for beta :)
guideclothing wrote:Anton,

sorry to ask what will likely be a stupid question - but this StarWindBeta.exe V8 file also includes the Tape Redirector functionality - but it will need to be a paid licensed going forward?

thanks

ajck
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

guideclothing

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:18 am

Anton,

understood - no paid license required whilst in beta.

the other question I asked - please confirm that the file StarWindBeta.exe V8 file contains the Tape Redirector functionality?

I want to make sure I install the correct software (I assume I need to uninstall Tape Director that is installed now)?

thanks

jack
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:05 pm

It contains the SPTI functionality, therefore you`ll be able to export physical tapes over iSCSI.

I hope that answered your question
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
guideclothing

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:21 pm

many thanks
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Release Candidate is out so you're welcomed to participate and provide your feedback.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Markus

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:28 am

I've replace the currently available free version of the TR first by the beta and now by the RC of the new StarWind V8. But I'm still facing the issue that a newly inserted tape triggers the Backup Exec 2012 SP1 Device and Media service to set the drive offline. Manually changing it to online and running an inventory is one solution, the other is to restart the Device and Media service, which could be done by a script. But I would like it just to work :D
So, for those of you having the same issue, am I missing a configuration option for StarWind V8 which needs to be set? Or is it just not working yet in this setup, even with the new SPTI?

Thanks for any pointer!

Kind regards,

Markus
guideclothing

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:02 pm

after 2 plus years I have found a solution.

On your server with Backup Exec create a file called "BUE2012_Bring_Drive_Online.ps1" in "C:\Program Files\Symantec" - a PowerShell file

write the following PowerShell script in the file:

# cmdlet for bringing a tape drive back on-line. Uses BEMCLI (Backup Execs CLI). For use with BUE2012.
Import-Module BEMCLI
Get-BETapeDriveDevice | Set-BETapeDriveDevice -Paused $False

Save the file and close it

Next - open Task Manager

Create a basic task

When you select the Trigger- Select Event Viewer - (look in your even viewer for an Event ID that occurs when the drive goes offline - in mine its Log: Application, Source: backup Exec, EventID: 58053

in Actions write in the program: powershell.exe
in the additional Parameters: -ExecutionPolicy unrestricted -file "C:\Program Files\Symantec\BUE2012_Bring_Drive_Online.ps1"

Save
This has worked for me every day for the last week

good luck

Jaxck
Markus

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks for this nice attempt to work around the issue. It is by far more elegant than just restarting the Device and Media service, which causes a restart of three other BE services. To sum up, we do have three solutions by now, either manually setting the drive online, followed by an inventory, or - on two different ways - automatically by using a script to restart services or reconfiguring BE.

But I still would like to know if this is going to be fixed by StarWind or not?

To recap the history of the discussion, if I did not miss something there have been two statements by StarWind staff as to the cause:
- The first explanation was that "This happens because the scsiID of the tape drive changes each time the tape is changed" (posted by Max Kolomyeytsev on Jan 30, 2013 1:17 pm).
- About two month later, "Bohdan (staff)" stated on Apr 01, 2013 4:44 pm that "Actually the problem was caused by device reservation. Please contact our support guys to check your system. Maybe this is the same problem and it is necessary to break the reservation."
I could not find more background to the issue itself.

The second post by Bohdan uses past tense, so the issue should have been solved. If it has not been a unique, system specific problem, I would like to know "how?". Simply replacing TR by the current, full product (V8, beta or RC) does not do the trick. Again, before implementing a work around, I'd like to know if this is still working as designed or if it should be fixed by now and there is something wrong with my (or our all) local configuration.

Thanks and kind regards,

Markus
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:12 pm

There are MANY issues and not single one so everything referenced (changed symbolic link, reservation etc) do impact. We're puttng them down one-by-one and have no plans to stop before we'll see zero issues with claimed functionality.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Markus

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:01 pm

I appreciate your feedback, Anton. What could I do next to aid you and your colleagues in taking down one of the issues after the other? Please advise, either directly, by PM, or direct email (see my registration Information).

Kind regards,

Markus