Extremely slow transfer windows 2012 R2

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

amajidkh

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:59 am

TOPOLOGY

1 x windows 2012 R2 with LACP Team x 2gb - Host / HyperV
1 x windows 2012 R2 with LACP Team x 2gb - RAID 10 - ISCSI SAN
Connected into a 1GB Managed Switch

I have setup iscsi starwind on the storage server. Mapped a lun to a windows 2012 r2 Hyper-V host. Connection is all fine however when I copy anything to this iscsi device speed goes from 120mb/s down to 100kb stops then I get an average of about 1MB/s. this could be a simple file copy and not a VHDX running.

I have tried a copy from this host to the SAN to a shared folder I get an average of about 102MB/s constantly. Please help is there a setting I need to change? The Performance is not workable specially in a production environment..Please help!
amajidkh

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:36 am

I forgot to mention I am using Native San v6 not virtual san product.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Setup is completely broken.

1) You never team NICs intended to be used with storage traffic. Keep them unbounded and properly configure MPIO for uplinks and leave AS IS for StarWind backbone sync connection.

2) V6 is EOL-ed product. You need to upgrade to V8 to take care of iSCSI-less setup (V8 uses loopback accelerator fast path for inter-node communications rather then route all data over storage and TCP and network stacks as V6 did).

P.S. Technical configuration guide for V8 in "hyper-converged" scenario is coming.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

amajidkh

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi Anton,

thank you for the reply, a few questions:

1. Can I do an in place upgrade to v8 or is it recommended to remove starwind completely and start from scratch.
2. Will my "devices" remain intact?
3. Is v8 Native ie my SAN is a physical windows 2012 R2 server - NOT hyperV I prefer to use iscsi as this SAN is servicing VMware hosts as well.
4. Is there anyway or utility to mount your ibv files so I may copy the vhdx out directly on the SAN.
5. I will break the LACP team so I have 2 x 1 gb links.
amajidkh

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Please ignore my question re Native SAN I just did a quick install on my machine and it indeed does.

So only question is could I do an in place upgrade? As with all SANS advisable to stop all I/O I guess !?!
Can I mount the ibv locally so I may extract the data to a different volume as backup before I do the upgrade?
amajidkh

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:53 pm

1. Broke the Network team ( although this has never been an issue in the past )
2. Setup multipathing
3. I am getting the same issues, worse now transfer sits at 0bytes on a copy then shoots to 7-8mbs then goes back down to 0bytes there is currently no other I/o to the san
amajidkh

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:40 am

1. Upgraded from v6 to v8
2. currently running a copy into an iscsi attached disk 2-4mb transfer speed.
3. I have done all the recommended steps but still see very slow performance?
amajidkh

Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:59 pm

No real reply. I think I might have to call it a day in using starwind I have recommended it highly in the past but in this instance its just not up to parr. Installing any apps is next to impossible on a vhdx mounted on an iscsi device. 7 hours to install SQL this is absurd!
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:02 am

Hi!
First of all I`d like to say that I regret knowing that you ran into trouble.
Also I`d like to inform you that this is Community Forum, and we have 2-3 day to answer the asked questions here, that is just reality of how forums works. So if you`d like to get the immediate direct support it is a good idea to consider getting perpetual license, perhaps with premium support option, which covers 24/7.

Now let`s get deeper into the performance problem:
95% of performance issues are caused by outdated drivers, so I'd highly recommend you to check that. Another 5% of the performance issues are caused by slow-performing hardware that StarWind utilizes, so particularly for your case I~d recommend you to doublechek the percentage of disk and network utilization on the StarWind host and client machines.

I hope that makes sense.

Please let us know if that won`t help.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com